Taking a Pop at it!

EPCHS helps Ronald McDonald House

Ruby Mendoza

Ciara Black puts a pop top in the collection house.

Ruby Mendoza, Staff Writer

The Ronald McDonald House in Oak Lawn has a competition from Oak Lawn to Lockport to see which school can support the most pop tabs. Any student can easily pull of the tab of a pop can and turn it into the small collection boxes located in the school’s offices. At the end of each month, each school has their collection weighed on a scale. A trophy is later given to the school that has the largest amount of pop tabs in terms of weight by the end of April. After recycling these tabs, funds are created and used to run the Ronald McDonald House and help families.

The program was brought to attention when teen advisory board members worked with Mr. Shellengburger, Mr. Sanderson, and Ms. Durkin last year to get Mustang students to participate. “I love being a Teen Advisory Board Member of the Ronald McDonald House and I hope our school can be the number one school for collecting pop tabs. It is a great way to show we care about our local Ronald McDonald House,” said Kayley Burke. The goal this year is to be the number one school since we had the title two years ago.

Students are asked to drop off their soda tabs at the collection boxes located at the school offices. If they wish to donate a large amount of tabs or if anyone has any questions, please contact Genevieve Garbacz at [email protected] or Mr. Sanderson at [email protected]. Let’s show the other large high schools, we can make a big difference!

Ruby Mendoza