New AP Courses Coming!

Makenzie Telstad, Staff Writer

For the 2019-2020 school year, there has been multiple courses added to the curriculum. The new classes that have been added are AP Human Geography for the freshman, AP Biology for the Sophomores through Seniors, AP Language and Culture (Spanish) for Juniors and Seniors, and AP Art-2D design 3D Design and Portfolio for any grades. Also, AP US History and US History for sophomores will now be an all year long class, not only one semester. The course descriptions are as followed:

AP Human Geography- freshman- AP Human Geography presents high school students with the curricular equivalent of an introductory college-level course in human geography or cultural geography. Content is presented thematically rather than regionally and is organized around the discipline’s main subfields: economic geography, cultural geography, political geography, and urban geography.

AP Biology- sophomores Through seniors- A college-level biology course. Students cultivate their understanding of biology through inquiry-based investigations as they explore the following topics: evolution, cellular processes – energy and communication, genetics, information transfer, ecology, and interactions.

AP Language and Culture- Juniors and Seniors- It is intended for students who wish to continue language study for a variety of reasons including enjoyment of the language and preparation for future needs. These might include education, travel, and careers. Students will be encouraged to use only Spanish throughout the course. Various, famous literary works will be read, discussed, and analyzed.

AP Art-2D design 3D design and Portfolio- any grade- AP Studio Art is an eighteen-week course that is designed to meet the needs of any high school student who plans to major in Art in college or Art school, and is committed to the preparation of an Advanced Placement Studio Art Portfolio in Drawing, 2-D Design or 3-D Design. Emphasis will be placed on demonstrating how the arts can shape and reflect ideas, issues or themes in society, while determining and evaluating how tools/technologies and processes combine to convey meaning. Through studio practice, application of design concepts, and informed decision making, students will assemble a body of artwork that demonstrates a high level of quality and growth over time. Continued focus will be on using the elements of art (line, shape, form, value, texture, space, and color) and the principles of art (balance, rhythm, contrast, movement, emphasis, pattern, and unity) to organize and convey meaning in digital/graphic, drawn, painted, photographic, and/or sculptural/ceramic works while developing mastery in concept, composition, and execution of Drawing, 2-D Design, or 3-D Design.

***Most AP classes have an AP exam at the end which may cost extra money***