Top Best Reads

EPCHS Students recommend their favorite books

Octavia Miller, Contributing Staff Writer

• One recommended favorite book from a student is “The Cruel Prince” by Coe Broth. This was recommended by Sheridan Stiles, who gave the book ten stars. The Cruel Prince is about the main character whose name is Jude, she was seven years old when her parents were murdered. In these unfortunate events, she and her sisters were kidnapped and brought to the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Still, after ten years, Jude wants nothing more than to belong in that world despite her mortality, but so many of the Fey despise mortals.

• Another recommended book stocked in the library is “Punching The Air” by Michael Noel, who gave the book nine and a half stars. The book is about Amal, an African-American Muslim teenage boy who is wrongfully convicted of a crime he never committed. The book follows him through his experiences when he is locked up in a juvenile detention center and when he faces many conflicts that are both internally and externally throughout this great  book.

• Additionally, Summer Bett’s recommended book is “Grown”, and she gave the book ten stars. The book is about 17-year-old Enchanted Jones at a singing audition and catches the attention of superstar musician Korey Fields, who is twenty-eight years old. Korey tells Enchanted that she has a great future ahead of being a future musician, but the star-struck teenager is pulled into a life and relationship of drugs and abuse in this compelling book genre.

• Miranda Adams recommends the book “ Wait till Helen Comes,” which she thought the book was good and gave it eight out of ten. The book was about a reconstructed family that moved to a converted church in the country. Fourteen-year-old Molly soon realizes that she has a gift that she must use, but she has to face her deepest darkest fear and save her troubled step-sister from a dangerous relationship with the ghost of a lonely little girl.

• Julian E. Recommended the book called “Dear Martin” and gave it a ten out of ten. The novel is about an Ivy League-bound African American student named Justyce who becomes a victim of racial profiling and struggles to reconcile with the fact that he’s a “good kid” but is in police custody in this book.

• Madison Ward recommends a book that is a manga called “Monster,” which was about an eight out of ten for her. This book is about a Japanese surgeon who is living in Düsseldorf, Germany. Whose life goes into turmoil after getting involved with Johan Liebert, one of his former patients who was a serial killer.

• In addition, Curtis Dennis recommended the book “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian,” and he gave the book ten stars in his opinion. The book is about Junior’s life on the Spokane Indian Reservation and his decision to go to a nearly all-white public high school that is away from his reservation.

• Finally, Megan Easterhouse’s recommended book was ” Tuesdays with Morrie and her rating on this book is nine out of ten. The book is about Morrie, who is an extremely lovable college professor who is in his late sixties, but he finds out that he is dying. The story goes on his last weeks on earth and is told by Mitch, one of his former students, who just happened to bump into him during his final days.

To conclude, I would like to offer this list of books to anyone who loves to read books or wants something to do to pass the time by!