Boys Swim sets a new record during Sectional meet

Josh Miglieri, Staff Writer

On Feb. 12, Shepard High School hosted the annual Boys Swim Conference event, and the Mustangs did not come to play. The final placings were 3rd for both the JV and Varsity levels with dozens of time drops and personal records, but the moment of the day was the one that will be seen by everyone in the pool area for years to come.

After setting a goal to set a new 200 Freestyle relay school record at the beginning of the season, Connor Schmody, Quinn Tyrell, John Bledsoe, and Nate Fernandez swam a blazingly fast 1.32.48 to put a new record in the books and their names on the big board school records board in the pool. The old record was 1.33.80 which has been held since 2007. Practicing the intricacies of the event and perfecting them to a new level of sharpness day in and out is what turned this lofty goal into a reality. 

The new record was a definite highlight, but the entire team really proved that their hard work in practice paid off on both levels. From Riley Gore’s elegant 100 fly event to Frank Ostry’s impressive showings in 200 IM and 100 breaststroke, and to the Scialabbla brothers, who dominated in every freestyle event on both levels, the boys were more locked in as a unit than ever before. Though now is the time to show admiration for all that hard work, they have to keep up this positive growth and carry it into sectionals.